The Vinayagar Chathurthi festival is celebrated tomorrow (Sept. 2) across the country. Since Vinayagar Chathurthi has arrived this year on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, many people have made it to their hometowns for the long weekend to celebrate the festival and to be with their loved ones.
Though the Ganesha Chaturthi Festival became popular during the reign of King Chhatrapati Shivaji, Bal Gangadhar Tilak was the first leader of the Indian Liberation Movement to celebrate the Vinayagar Festival celebrations and processions we see today. The biggest festival that people celebrate to date is the Vinayagar Chathurthi celebrations which he started in 1893 under the name of “Sarvajana Ganesh Utsav”.
According to legend, Lord Ganesha was created by Lord Shiva Parvati with the power to break the barriers of the gods by appealing to Lord Shiva to protect themselves from the tyranny of monsters. He rescued the demon Kajamukasura with an elephant’s face and human body on a single month. Hence, from this day onwards this day is celebrated as Vinayaka Chaturthi.
Time to celebrate Vinayagar Chathurthi 2019?
- Vinayagar Chathurthi Date: Monday, September 2, 2019
- Vinayagar statue idol immersion: Thursday, September 12, 2019
- Opening Hours of Vinayagar Pooja: 11.05 am to 1:36 pm
- Chathurthi Thithi Start Time: September 2, 2019, 4:57 am
- Chathurthi Thithi Time: September 3, 2019, 1:54 am