On Sunday, August 25, the festival of Goga Navami will be celebrated with great pomp by the Valmiki Samaj. Due to differences, this festival is celebrated on August 24 Saturday as well in on other places. It is known that the festival of Goga Navami is celebrated in many states. This festival is especially celebrated in Rajasthan besides Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, as this festival is the folk festival of Rajasthan. It is also called Gugga Navami.
How to worship Goga Dev
This year, the Navami date of Krishna Paksha of Bhadrapada month is coming on 25 August, Sunday. This date is famous as Goga Navami. On this day, the birth anniversary of Goga Dev (Shri Jaharveer) is celebrated with great pomp. Nagas are worshiped on this day. It is believed that worshiping Goga Dev protects against snakes. Worship of Goga Dev starts from Shravani Purnima and this pooja lasts for 9 days i.e. Goga Dev is worshiped till Navami Tithi, hence it is called Goga Navami.
According to a legend related to Goga Dev Maharaj, Goga Dev was born with the blessings of Yogi Gorakshanath of the Nath sect. It was Yogi Gorakshanath who gave his mother Bachchal the elusive Guggal in the form of prasad, due to which Goga Dev (Jahveer) was born from Maharani Bachal.
This festival is celebrated with great reverence and faith. On this occasion, the devotees of Baba Jaharveer (Gogaji) make the altar of Ishtadeva in their homes and make a monolithic light awakening and listen to the heroic saga and birth story of Goga Devji. This practice is called Jaharvir’s Jot Katha Jagran. Fairs are held on this day in many places and processions are taken out. This caravan of scars originates throughout the night in many cities. On this day, the devotees offer Jahveer Puja and Havan in their homes and offer Kheer and Malpua to them.
What is done on the day of Goga Navami
- On the day of Bhadrapada Krishna Navami, get up early in the morning and retire from everyday tasks and prepare food.
- Prepare kheer, churma, dumpling etc. as prasad for God
- When women bring a clay statue of Veer Goga ji then they are worshiped. When the idol arrives, offer prasad made by applying tilak to rice. In many places there is a horse-mounted heroic idol of Goga Dev which is worshiped.
- Dal is placed in front of Goga ji’s horse.
- It is believed that the Rakshasutra (Rakhi) that the sisters tie to their brothers on the day of Rakshabandhan is opened on Goga Navami and offered to Goga Dev Ji.
- On this day Goga ji’s favorite hymn is sung
In relation to Goga Navami, it is believed that keeping the soil of the place of worship in the house is not serpentine. It is believed that Veer Goga Dev fulfills all the wishes of his devotees. This festival of Goga Navami celebrated on Bhadrapada Krishna Navami is quite famous.