Anna Karina the Danish-French actress and ex wife of New Wave director Jean-Paul Godard died yesterdat at the age of 79 battling cancer. “Anna died yesterday in a Paris hospital of the effects of cancer,” her agent Laurent Balandras told AFP, adding that she passed away in the company of her fourth husband, American director Dennis Berry. Here are some of the facts about Anna Karina
Anna Karina Top Facts
- Karina was still a teenager when she hitchhiked to Paris from her native Denmark to try to become an actress.
- She developed a successful modelling career before being spotted by Godard while walking along the Champs-Elysees.
- Godard offered her a nude scene in “Breathless”, his first and most famous film, but she refused.
- They were already a couple when, at barely 21, she won best actress at the Berlin film festival for his “A Woman is a Woman” in 1961.
- “We loved each other a lot,” Karina told AFP in an interview in Paris in March 2018. “But it was complicated to live with him,” she added.
- “He was someone who could say to you, ‘I am going to get some cigarettes’ and come back three weeks later.”
- Anna Karina became director herself to make “Vivre ensemble”, a romance between a history teacher and a free spirited young woman that ends in drugs and domestic violence.
- Karina also had some success as a singer, recording “Sous Le Soleil Exactement” with Serge Gainsbourg